Ribblesdale Goat's cheese cakes with red lentils on the side
A tasty cheesy cake that is cheap and easy to make, gluten free, wheat free, soy free, grain free, sugar free and a vegetarian treat. Enhanced protein with the chickpea flour means this is ideal for vegetarians needing to improve their intake.
- Crack the eggs into a jug and beat thoroughly.
- Add the measured out gram and amaranth flours, and mix well. You may need to add a little water. Your mix should resemble a thick pancake mixture without any lumps.
- Add the bicarb and mix in well.
- Lastly add the cheese add stir in thoroughly.
- Prepare a wok for the lentils by melting a tsps of coconut oil in the bottom.
- Add a tbsp of tomato pasta and the sliced garlic. You may need a little water.
- Add the packet of lentils and mix well but leave on a low heat.
- Keep stirring every now and again.
- In a frying pan melt a tsps of coconut oil.
- Pre heat your grill on high.
- Place 4 metal rings (or smooth biscuit cutters) to use as the cake molds.
- Split the mix into 4 even amounts in each mold they should be approximately half full and cook on a medium heat. They will rise to the top of the ring. When they are level with the top and the central mix starts to look solid you can pop them under the grill to brown in the frying pan.
- Whilst they are browning add a couple of handfuls of spinach to the lentils mix and keep cooking on a low heat.
- Carefully lift the rings off the cakes and place them on the serving plates with the lentils side dish.
Cheap easy and tasty.
This is quite an unusual recipe I created, that started of as a pancake plan but ended up being better as these cakes were beautiful. So light and fluffy and with a lovely sharp flavour of cheese to complement the chickpea flour. It works best with the red lentils and spinach side dish as the combination is almost Mediterranean. They are very easy to make and you could make some and eat them cold as a snack. They are high protein, gluten free, wheat free, sugar free, grain free, soy free, and vegetarian.