I used to love this cake when I was younger and I haven't had it for years until I dreamt of a way I could literally have my cake and eat it. This naturally gluten free, dairy free with fruit sugar added is the perfect compromise.
- Pre heat your oven to 180 degrees C.
- In a bowl mix the flour, nutmeg & lemon zest. Add the coconut oil, lemon juice, native and water. Break your eggs and mix thoroughly. Add them to the mix or your vegan egg substitute.
- This won't rise and it shouldn't as it is akin to shortbread so don't panic.
- Grease a baking tin and bake for 20 minutes until golden brown.
- While this is baking make your filling. In a saucepan on a hob, using a very gentle low heat, mix the Sukrin Gold and coconut oil together until the crystals have melted and the liquid darkens.
- Add the vanilla essence and turn off the heat. As the mix starts to thicken add the vita fibre and the blended dried figs.
- Remove your shortbread from the oven and spread your caramel fig paste over the shortbread leaving it to set.
- Meanwhile melt the 2 bars of 85% dark chocolate in a bowl over a saucepan of hot water on a very low heat.
- Place the shortbread and caramel into the fridge to chill and pour over the melted chocolate when it is ready and place back in the fridge to set.
- Slice and serve.